Hannibal Free Public Library
Death Comes for the Archbishop
March 18, 2019
1. How would you describe the mood of this book? Did you like it?
2. How does the Prologue set the scene for the story? What attitudes and themes does it foreshadow?
3. Describe the friendship between Jean Latour and Joseph Valliant. How essential is their relationship to the book as a whole?
4. Magdalena’s story is one of the more memorable in their early travels, and she then recurs throughout the book. What impact does her character have on the priests? On the reader?
5. Is this a Catholic book? What does it have to say about the greater theme of faith?
6. Are there aspects of religion (or those who profess to be religious) that are portrayed in a negative light?
7. Was the mission of the priests one of service, conversion, or something else? Did they make a difference?
8. What does Latour have in common with the ideal of the Western hero? What is different?
9. Some readers have trouble with Latour due to his lack of passion and sometimes even coldness. Is this how he struck you?