SCOTT CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Information submitted by Lola Richardson
Scott Chapel was organized in 1887 in Brittanham Hall on Broadway in Hannibal, Missouri, two years after the first two Black congregations were organized. They were Allen Chapel, AME, and Eighth and Center Street Missionary Baptist Churches.
Scott Chapel was named after the first "Negro missionary" Bishop Isaiah B. Scott. The first pastor and organizer was Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
On March 24, 1887 the Central West Conference (originally Central Missouri Conference) of the Methodist Episcopal Church was established. Scott Chapel, being a Black congregation, became a member of this conference.
The congregation of Scott Chapel has worshiped in six locations in Hannibal. The new church worshiped in Brittanham Hall for a month in 1887 and then moved to its second site on Bird Street where Central Elementary School now stands. This church building was a two room-meeting house. Three years later, circa 1890, the congregation moved to a location near the corner of Carr and Patchen Streets. This building was near the Hannibal-St. Joseph Railroad tracks.
Circa 1892 the church moved to a more conspicuous location. This site was on Broadway just west of Griffith Street. It was not a popular move and in the hand written history the writer states his hesitance to recall it.
Late in the 1890’s was the time that the church experienced financial difficulty and as a result of it, the church building was sold. The Chapel was able to secure a location at 111 Peter Street (now Wardlow Street), which they shared with the Second Christian Church. Together they rented this structure for some time. Later Scott’s Chapel had sole use of the building.
In 1917, Hope Street Methodist Episcopal Church merged with First Methodist Episcopal Church. Under the leadership of Bishop William A. Quayle, the pastors of the three churches and the District Superintendents, Scott Chapel congregation bought the building and began worship services. For thirteen years the congregation struggled to rid itself of the debt incurred.
Following the purchase of their new facilities, Scott’s Chapel hosted the 32nd annual session of the Central Missouri Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The conference opened Friday, April 12, 1918. Rev. A. E. Miller was host pastor. Dr. W. A. Broyle, minister of Eighth and Center Street Baptist Church, and Prof. A. C. Maclin, principal of the Douglass High School gave the "Welcome Addresses." Bishop William A. Quayle delivered the response.
Scott’s Chapel also hosted two District Conferences.
Early pastors were Jeremiah Wright, J. A. Crevens, E. W. Holmes, Evans, Burton Revere, Hubbard Wilson, Quinctus E. Whaley (1907), A. E. Miller (1916), H. T. Reeves (1921), F. D. Avant (1924), J. C. McGinty (1926), Rev. Bishop (1928), Rev. Ray (1928), John Guyton (1930), W. H. Wheeler (1933), F. C. Wharry (1936), E. M. Madden (1939), C. A. Shaw (1939), Rev. McEuen (1941), Rev. Bridges (1945), Rev. Reoger, Rev. Webb, M. L. Brooks (1952), H. B. Salahadyn (1953), W. F. Leonard (1964), Jerry Statler, J. Fredrick Lawson (1968), Robert L. Bullock (1982), Rev. M. L. Shamaker (1986), Rev. Jim Doyle (1989), Petro Whealey (1993), Rev. Archibald Bing (1995-1996), Rev. Cyrus Keller (1996), and our current pastor, Rev. Mary D. Garrett (January 7, 2001).
At that time, Scott’s Chapel was dropped from the Hannibal Charge and placed with Wesley Chapel of Bowling Green, Missouri creating "The Wesley/Scott Charge", Rev. Garrett being Charge-Pastor. Though 30 miles apart the two chapels manage to fellowship together regularly.
Under Pastor Garrett’s leadership the Scott’s Chapel congregation was lifted out of debt while having major repairs done to the building. A sign was erected and the badly damaged sidewalk at the church’s entrance (which, of course, obstructed visitation) was repaired. The lower level, including bathroom facilities, was renovated and a kitchen was installed. Immediately the membership increased with six new members of which three were baptized and thereby swelling attendances in the weekly worship services. The congregation is also engaged in weekly prayer services and Bible study.