||Postcard of Exterior and Interior of Dr.
Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church
|DATE OF ORIGINAL
||Unknown - Duplicate of 1st Ilasco postmark
of September 18, 1903 on reverse side - but church was not built until
|DATE OF DIGITAL
||ILASCO, MO - There were a large
number of Ilascans who immigrated from Slovakia between the years
1903-1904. Although they wanted all that America promised them, they
were also very concerned that they maintain their memories and heritage
from the old country. Although the Slovak community as a whole had
organized first as the Charles Kuzmany Society # 139 and later the
National Slovak Society Lodge #573, the Lutheran Slovaks still thought
something was missing from their lives. Therefore, in 1911 they
formed the Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was
built on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ben E. Hulse. The bell tower,
seen on left, was very instrumental in Slovak lives. It was rung for
two special purposes : at 6 p.m. it was rung to signal the end of the
working day ; and, it was rung whenever a Ilascan Slovak of any faith
died. The church was demolished in 1971 ; the beautiful altar, seen
on the right, was given to the Luther Manor Nursing Home in Hannibal, Mo.
||Hannibal Free Public Library (Hannibal,
||Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical
Lutheran Church (Ilasco, Mo.)
||Hulse, Ben E.
||Immigrants, Slovak -- Religious rites and
||Black and white postcard, 5 1/2" by 3
1/2 ; church exterior, 2 1/2" by 3" ; church interior, 2
1/2" by 2 3/4".