||Summer School at Dr Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church
|DATE OF ORIGINAL
|DATE OF DIGITAL
||ILASCO, MO - Summer School at the Slovak Lutheran
Church started just a few days after the public school was dismissed for
the summer and lasted for six weeks. Originally this was to teach
not only the Bible but also to keep the Slovak culture and language in the
children's lives. Finally in 1932, one year before this picture was
taken, two landmarks occurred for the school : a young student
pastor named Stephen M. Tuhy started an English Sunday School and electric
lights were installed. With declining enrollment, this school was
disbanded during World War II and made a brief reappearance after the war
only to be closed finally in 1948. None of the participants in this
picture are identified.
||Hannibal Free Public Library (Hannibal,
||Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran
Church. Summer School.
||Immigrant children, Slovak -- Religious
||Immigrant children, Slovak -- Social life
||Education, religious -- Missouri -- Ilasco.
||Black and white photograph, 4 1/2" by