FRIENDS OF THE HANNIBAL FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY
Annual Meeting: October 26, 2017, 4:00 p.m.
Present: President Carol Bridgeman, Jack Gardner, Vice-President Harriet Grubb, Norman Grubb, and Secretary/Treasurer Hallie Yundt Silver. Absent: Cutty Colyar and the Hadley Family.
Friends President Carol Bridgeman called the Annual Meeting of the Friends of the Hannibal Free Public Library to order at 4:08 p.m. Carol Bridgeman greeted and welcomed returning members. Dues were collected, and the new brochure was distributed.
Hallie Yundt Silver provided the Membership Report. She reported there were three individual and two family memberships who had paid this year’s dues. Based on the paid memberships, she reported that a quorum was present at the Annual Meeting. There was consensus that the Membership Report would stand as read.
Moved by Jack Gardner and supported by Hallie Yundt Silver to extend Cutty Colyar’s new membership through October 2018. Motion carried.
Minutes were sent with the packet for the meeting. Minutes were also available at the meeting. Moved by Jack Gardner and supported by Harriet Grubb to accept the Minutes of the previous meeting of October 19, 2016. Motion carried.
Hallie Yundt Silver provided the Financial Report. An updated spreadsheet was distributed. She indicated that highlights of last year’s finances included:
v Last fiscal year, Friends were the recipient of a large donation in memory of Janie Lou Dye. Mrs. Dye’s family wanted the funds used to purchase children’s books. This year, Mrs. Dye’s family has established a trust fund with the Library, the interest of which will be used to purchase children’s books.
v Sales tax of $0.90 was paid in January 2017 by Hallie Yundt Silver. Since this was a donation, it is not shown in the Financial Report.
v The 990-PF was filed in January 2017.
v Revenues last fiscal year included dues, small donations, and the fundraiser at Summer Kick-Off. Expenditures included: the Christmas Tree, Give-Away Chess Books for Juniors, Gift Card for Cindy Haun in honor of her retirement, Gift Card for Caitlin Greathouse in honor of her Master’s degree, Food for Summer Kick-Off Fundraiser, Goodbye Gift Card for Claire Ehrlich.
v $799.66 plus current dues will remain in the savings account once a deposit is made and all invoices are paid.
Harriet Grubb reported “everything was right” after she and Leandra Bridgeman had audited the books.
Carol Bridgeman called three times for nominations from the floor for Officers to serve through October 2018. Moved by Jack Gardner and supported by Norman Grubb to close the ballot and elect the following Officers by acclamation: Carol Bridgeman as President, Harriet Grubb as Vice-President, and Hallie Yundt Silver as Secretary/Treasurer. Motion carried.
Because the same Officers were returning, it was determined that there was no need to update the Bank Resolution.
Hallie Yundt Silver provided the Director’s Report. She reported that
· The Library reorganized twice in 2017. Cindy Haun retired in April, and her position was split into two part-time Associate 1 positions and 1 part-time Library Shelver position. Lisa McKenna and Andrea Reinwald (the two Associates 1) were hired in July. Claire Ehrlich resigned in August to accept a position closer to home. Caitlin Greathouse was promoted to become our Assistant Director, and her old position was split into two part-time Associate 1 positions. We have been interviewing and have made tentative offers to three candidates (two Associates 1 and one Library Shelver). We hope to be fully staffed by mid-November.
· Our big project for this fiscal year, through May 31, 2018, is strategic planning. We received a federal grant to help fund a community survey. Data from the survey and from our automated circulation system will be used to help set goals for the next three to five years. Friends will be asked to be involved a little later in the project.
· Friends page on the Library website will be updated soon.
· The brochure was updated before the book sale in August.
· Biennial NonProfit Report (filed with Missouri Secretary of State) must be filed asap. Next filing due in August 2019.
· A copy of Librarian’s Annual Narrative Report will be presented to the President of the Friends. Brochures summarizing the Report will be presented to the Membership.
· Rotary continues to use picture books as thank you gifts for speakers. These books are selected by the Library and are later returned to be shelved in our collection.
· Evening Kiwanis is funding four years of the five-year maintenance agreement for a defibrillator. The Marion County Ambulance District is donating the AED and the first year of the maintenance agreement. We anticipate having the device at the Library soon.
· Women’s Club of Hannibal is supporting Babies & Books again in 2017-2018.
· Calendar for 2016-2017
o Annual Meeting, October 26, 2017
o Chess Tournament, November 18, 2017
o Library’s Holiday Potluck, Wednesday, December 13, 2017
o Book Lover’s Sale, Thursday, Friday & Saturday, February 22-24, 2018
o Library Tea, Saturday, April 21, 2018
o Chess Tournament, Saturday in May TBA
o Kick-Off in the Park, Wednesday, May 23, 2018
o Summer Finale for Children & Teens, Wednesday, July 25, 2018
o Adult Summer Finale, Monday evening, July 30, 2018
o Annual Book Sale, Thursday, Friday & Saturday, August 9-11, 2018
o Adult Trivia Night, Friday evening, September 7, 2018
o Annual Meeting, October 18, 2018
Hallie Yundt Silver distributed the City’s new brochure, entitled “Hannibal on the Go.” She distributed a poster advertising “Finding Tom Sawyer,” a presentation by Jim Waddell to be offered on November 13th.
Moved by Norman Grubb and supported by Harriet Grubb to adjourn. Motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Following the meeting, there was a discussion of the Inter-Library Loan process.
Hallie Yundt Silver, Library Director, Hannibal Free Public Library, and
Secretary/Treasurer, Friends of the Hannibal Free Public Library